..


A blog about my life with dogs.......

Friday, December 30, 2011

when dogs fly,...

Remember how I said I was working on a basketball trick with Bugsy? I don't! 
I have completely forgotten about that darned basketball trick. When I sit down to to blog I remember, when I walk away from the computer the task leaves my mind. This is how trick training is for me. I think of some new tricks, I try one that doesn't fly another that does and one I forget about and another that really takes off. Comet, the dog who wouldn't play fetch outside, is now playing fetch outside like a champ. Working on the "take it" command helped him over the hump. He doesn't play fetch with the drive and enthusiasm Bugsy does but then again, Bugsy takes drive and enthusiasm to a whole other level.  When I started working on the basketball trick, and Comet playing fetch outside I also starting working on refining the boys ability to stand on their hind legs. I asked them to "take it" and held something in my hand high so they had to stand on hind legs to get it, I gave them the touch command asking them to touch their nose to my hand and raised my hand higher and higher. As that became a success I began encouraging them to move back and forth while on hind legs. And so, the "walk" command was born. Comet is better at it than Bugsy. Comet can take more steps and balance better (could it have something to do with his tail?).

You might recall me writing about how I really ought to have my dogs wearing seat belts or safety restraints of some kind in the car. I had been checking out a few dog websites and checked out a local store but the options seemed flimsy, ridiculous or dangerous. Crates aren't an option for Bugsy and Comet is too big to crate in my car, so I just let it go. UNTIL.....I was driving home from the dog park and Bugsy ,as usual, was standing with his feet on the console between the driver and passenger seat. He kept getting up and going back to the back, pacing excitedly. He gets very excited in the car, and he is very aware of places and routes. We were about to drive by the farm and he knew it. I asked Bugsy to "back up", he did. Then he returned, I said it again "back up" and moved my arm to block his entrance into my space, distracted I didn't realize that the car in front of me was breaking. When I did realize, I slammed on my breaks to avoid a collision and Bugsy flew threw the air and onto my dashboard. He hit the dashboard and windshield. Luckily he was fine, and no cars crashed. He climbed/fell down from my dashboard and into the backseat where sat politely (and sheepishly)for the rest of the drive home. Once we arrived home, after checking Bugsy again for broken bones, I promptly dug out the seat belt harness attachments I had in my basement and put them into the backseat. They will have to do until I can find a suitable upgrade. No more free riding for my boys.







Trying something new! Dehydrated beef trachea. They loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment